National CALL OUT for submissions for the 2016 program:
Submissions open 10am Tuesday 16 June 2015
Submissions close Extended to Midnight Monday 24 August 2015
Notification September 2015
SITUATE Arts Lab 2016 to be held in Tasmania from 10 – 22 January 2016
Salamanca Arts Centre has partnered with Dark MOFO and MONA FOMA in Hobart, Darwin Festival, Bleach Festival Gold Coast, Ten Days on the Island: Tasmanian International Arts Festival, Harvest Music and Arts Festival, FRINGE WORLD Perth, WOMADelaide and Vrystaat Festival in South Africa, to bring you SITUATE Art in Festivals.
The SITUATE Art in Festivals program is designed to support early career artists and creative practitioners working experimentally and interested in creating outstanding new works for festival environments.
The program includes:
- A residential, interdisciplinary artist laboratory where artists are invited to develop concepts and test out ideas, guided by national and international artists, curators and designers. The next SITUATE Arts Lab is to be held in Tasmania from 11 – 22 January 2016.
- This is followed by a short mentoring phase, where artists are able to work with leading producers and other practitioners to help refine a written proposal for submission to our festival partners. This proposal will include:
- How the project responds to the festival brief
- How the idea will engage with the particular nuances of a public site and its audience
- Examples of previous work and/or concept drawings, which illustrate the aims of the proposed project
- Artist’s CV
Festival partners are provided with an opportunity to review these proposals and select projects for Participants who are successful in securing interest from one or more of our partners may undertake a research and development phase where the logistics and site-specific demands of their proposed work will be verified and costed.
This fully verified proposal, budget and schedule, subsequently forms the basis for negotiations over the commissioning of a full-scale work. Participants will be supported throughout this phase with advice and input on fund raising, contract negotiation, production and publicity.
Once realised, projects may be made available for touring to other festivals.
For further information on the next interdisciplinary artist laboratory go to our Arts Lab page